It can get boring during that time between turning over a release to QE and the start of the next release.
I finished one zap today – well yesterday, but the zap generation program only generated the documentation header and not the actual zap text. Oops.
Then, I did a bit more work on my Worst Problem Ever, as it seems that this other customer is experiencing the error code in a different place (a client program running in anther partition rather than in the NPR partition). So even though *VK, *SU and myself have tons of experience from debugging the instance at My Favorite Customer-Not!, this one could be even more difficult to debug. We will probably have to create 2 dumps, and browse a lot of storage trying to find the right control block which has been (maybe) overwritten.
I found that I’d screwed up some info in a zap control record, so it was trying to apply the zap to OS/390 (and to CMS, and to BS2000/OSD) – which was wrong, because it was a VSE-only zap. Oops. Got that fixed.
Another problem that had been reported by MFC-N! which had disappeared by the time I tried to get additional information, has not reoccurred. I still think that there was something wrong with this particular VTOC entry to begin with, not my doing. Oh, well, when I least expect it, the problem will occur again.
Now on to other things…
I’m doing something that part of me says I shouldn’t do, but part of me does.
There’s a black cat (probably feral, but I think it has had some human exposure), definitely part Persian with beautiful copper eyes, that’s been hanging around. I think its (haven’t been able to tell if it’s male or female, but I suspect male) den is under our deck. Cheri and I have both started feeling a little bad about it, so I’d been putting out some treats for it, and she would gobble them up – when we’re not around, of course.
I put out a bowl of water earlier this week…and she’s been drinking.
One day I put out remnants of a can of cat food that Babushka & Truffles turned their noses up at. It was gone within a couple of hours.
So Tuesday I put out a bowl of dry food for it. For half an hour, it came up onto the deck, ate all the food, and drank a lot of water. Wednesday, it ate part of the dry food, and this morning it ate the rest. (I’ve been bringing the food in overnight because we live in coyote country.)
The worst thing – even though my wife says we can’t get attached to it, she’s calling it Cindy, after a children’s book and the fact that she had a black cat with white paws named Cindy (like in the book) when she was a kid. (It turned out to be a male kitty, but what the heck. 🙂 )
I’m hoping that it will get used to us a little bit. (Yes, I’m aware of the disease factor, and I certainly don’t want anything to infect our kitties. If I ever touch it, I’m hitting the anti-bacterial soap ASAP.)